Saturday, September 30, 2006

Barney's - Chain - 3 stars

Visited on: Often, latest visit: September 18, 2006

Comments: Recommended, nice thick burgers

Ordere items:
Barney's burger
Big Barney's burger
Western burger
Baja burger
Guacamole burger
Teriyaki burger
Pesto burger
Milano tofu burger
Milkshakes
Steak French fries

General comments:
There are several Barney's location, and I've been to the Piedmont, the College, and the Berkeley. I believe the College one is the best, and go in the evenings. Somehow, the chef on that shift really knows the best about how to make a big, juicy burger. Barney's uses USDA choice chuck, so it really tastes like beef, not unknown protein flakes lumped together. They have many different kinds of toppings, and I've found out through experience that the best kind is the type with some kind of rich sauce. Yesterday I ordered the pesto burger for the first time, and the baguette was a bit hard to bite down, so I'd still recommend bun over baguette. Their milkshake is very, very good, made with Dreyer's ice cream, and served in a tin cup. Supposedly their Turkish coffee milkshake is outstanding, but as I don't drink coffee, I can't say for sure. Tofu burger was a very pleasant surprise. It is not just tofu, it is a tofu patty with bits of vegetables mixed in there, so it is actually flavored, and goes very well with the toppings. I like their steak-cut French fries too. Crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside. Overall, I would recommend this place to people with burger cravings and looking for something under $8. If you have a higher budget and looking for "real gourmet" burger though, I'd recommend Cafe Zuni's burger.

Basic information:
4162 Piedmont Ave. Oakland 510-655-7180 Please call for opening hours. I believe they close at 10pm.http://www.barneyshamburgers.com/For menu and price information, please refer to the website

No comments: